Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Updates

Over the past couple of weeks, I've found myself sharing ideas that I have used or plan on trying out in my classroom.  I want to update everyone on the progress of some of my class projects as well as further learning based on what I have previously shared.

The first good news coming out of my classroom is our brand new fish tank! Within a couple of school days, I had a letter in my mailbox with coupons from Petsmart for a 10 gallon fish tank, the essentials, and the fish.  I am excited to bring it into school tomorrow for my students the help set up! We have been using this opportunity to use our free time during the day to research fish to possibly put in our tank.

We have also expanded our computer use for free time to include Wordle and Tagxedo.  Both sites create word clouds that can be specific to students interests for personal use, or based on a specific content.  I am still learning about Tagxedo, but information can be used from the internet to create word clouds on specific topics.  Next week, my class will be creating a word cloud to be posted in the classroom based on their brainstorm of "what it means to be American" from last week.

My last good news to share is that I have given Animoto access to my students to create independent study science projects.  Each student has their own science topic and is currently in the process of creating a video for their final project grade.  So far, they are very engaged and motivated to complete their work.  They will be finished up by the end of the week.  I can't wait to share them!

4 comments:

  1. In one of the classrooms that I work in, the students used Wordle during the first week of school to create their own name tags. In their word cloud they used their name and words describing their personalities. They still have them taped to the front of their desk. It's such a great idea to use with content area vocabulary or when learning about synonyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, that is awsome! I love the things you are implementing. I hope to see some word clouds and Animotos in future blogs (hint hint) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wordle looks like so much fun! I use a Mac and right now Wordle isn't working on it but I am looking forward to trying it in school. I can see using it for things such as math vocabulary or lists of favorite class books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea to have your kids work on their science projects and show their work through an Animoto! I love that! I'm sure the students are really engaged - I can't wait to them! BRAVO

      Delete