Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pets in the Classroom

I'm constantly looking for ways to address the emotional needs of my students.  After several conversations with my principal, we decided to purchase an aquarium for my classroom to allow the students something to care for and practice responsibility.  We thought it would help alleviate some of the anxiety my students have when they are in school.

We came across this grant to help us out.  Thought others with similar classrooms might be interested.  It's pretty cool... check it out!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I love the idea of having pets in the classroom. It would be a great way to integrate practicing responsibility throughout the school day. It's also great to know that there are corporations out there, such as Petsmart that support students learning about pets in the classroom. Let me know if you end up applying for the grant and how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never knew that there were corporations, such as PetSmart, that would be able to fund through a grant to have pets in classrooms! Like Heather mentioned, it does give students responsibility throughout the school day, with great motivation..AND possibly be able to take the pet home over weekends. My 6th grade science teacher had a white dwarf mouse and would allow students to take the pet home over the weekend (with parent permission, of course) to take care of it. Please share if you get it!

    ReplyDelete