Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Art therapy

The students in my class work towards a weekly reward (Fun Friday) by earning points based on their effort, ability to follow directions, remaining on task, and being respectful of others.  In the past, students have chosen to use the computer to play games that are otherwise discouraged within my classroom.  This year, I have chosen to put together an art project for the students to work on that would span several class periods. 

Each Friday, I have several students who earn the chance to "skip" class time with me and complete an alternate, more enjoyable, activity.  Those students who have not earned the reward, use this time to complete unfinished work and organize their materials for the following week.  Since beginning the art projects, my students have had more of an incentive to earn the Fun Friday to see what the project would bring.

I use this time as an opportunity for my students to be more relaxed within the school environment, share information about themselves or their lives that otherwise would not be shared, and work together.  With students of varying ability in my small classroom, it is often a struggle to allow students to work together academically.  Although they do at times, the socialization of working together on an art assignment strengthens their skills to communicate their thoughts and create a final product.

Our first Fun Friday this year, we created yarn globes.  I found the directions on pinterest and tried it out.  Considering I am not naturally an artistic person, I did warn my students that this was a first attempt and opened the experience for suggestions.  We made group decisions about how to set up the classroom to hang our balloons, what our strategy would be, and eventually where to hang our final projects.

The experience was positive in that all of my students participated that earned the reward, some of them chose to sit out and help facilitate as those who had "clean hands" while others paired up to complete a globe.  We also had a student (paired with me) who abandoned his project because it became too frustrating for him.  Our globe was looking quite sad until another student joined the class and continued our work.  A true group effort!











3 comments:

  1. That's such a fun idea, Lori! I bet the students are more motivated and cognizant of their behavior during the week, since they have something to work towards. It's amazing how something so simple as an art project can positively influence someone. Please post more projects that you plan to use with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is definitely a fun way to end a Friday! There are so many ideas on Pinterest, great resource! Have you considered asking for student donations for materials from students and parents? You never know what they may have lying around that isn't being used! That is how I got some ideas for different projects, had some odds and ends things come into school that inspired me. I am sure they would love to contribute to a fun Friday if they can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea, Nicole, to ask parents and students for donations. You could easily start an art materials collection to stock your room! Art can be surprisingly motivating to students and it sounds like yours are really enjoying working together which is great!

    ReplyDelete